Pages

Friday 21 February 2014

Athletics - Saia

ATHLETICS DAY
PURIRI
Excitement, Joy and Hard Work. Puriri the best house of all. Blue steady, Yep, Puriri is Ready. As we made our way down to the wharekai for our second day of chant practice which was right before the Athletics actually started. So we learnt our last chant and got the rest into our heads and memorised.

As we got up to march into our house spots, we see Rata Ninja’s running down and slicing their way through thick pure GI air. Then as the M.C (Mr Harris) invited us to come and sit down and take our place we see Totara making their way down to the field. Then after around 2-3 minutes we see Kowhai marching down to the track like they were special to the world.

As the first event came our leaders Daniel and Joe were asking for volunteers to run the first event which was 1500m, equivalent to three and a half laps. For that event I came around fourth place, but at the start of the race I was leading the pack for the first two laps then ran out of gas, then blessing came from second place and took it out.

Then the next event came up and it was the 200 metre sprints. Our Puriri runners were really nervous, but me in particular was very tired and worn out but I also thought about what our leaders had told us, this is their last year so make it a good one. So as the girls took off, it was time for the next set of girls to run so, as we were sitting Havea and I were still discussing who was running with the first pack so we both agreed that Havea would take the first and I would run the second heat. As my race came up, I had the urge to go toilet and as I was still thinking the shot was made. We all took off like rampaging bulls. One of the runners were taking the lead, but as I thought while I was running I should also use skill so I did and took the lead and created a humongous gap between us so I decided not to waste my energy, so I slowed my pace and tried saving energy for the next race I was looking forward to which was 100 metres.

But, as I was waiting our M.C called out for runners to run the next event which was 400m so I took the opportunity and went ahead to the area we had to be seated at. Then as we got called up, we all agreed to jog the whole thing but I also told the boys that I would sprint the last 100m, so they all agreed. As the shot was made a guy from Rata came running in and was leading us, but as it came to the last one hundred metres, he got too cocky and I took my chances while he wasn’t running at full pace and sprinted past him like the wind.

As I was waiting for the 100m event to be called out, Harris then announced that the Junior Runners were to make their way down to the starting line. As we waited all the boys made a promise to run together, but as we came to the starting line the shot was made and one of the boys just took off and left us in the dust, but I never gave up I chased him down and was about 2 to 3 metres away from him. I was disappointed with myself I gave my trust to one who wasn’t trustworthy himself.

At the end of the day our house came 3rd or 4th. But didn’t really matter because all I wanted to do was to put Puriri up there and make our leaders proud of being in charge of Puriri as it was their last year attending Tamaki college.

No comments:

Post a Comment